Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Exterior

Dahlings,

It's been a while and I'm happy to report that I have been busy with some new projects!  I'm so excited to share them with you as they come to a close.  I've also made some changes around the Busick house and next month we are scheduled for a bit of a remodel.  All due to the fact that we found dry rot on the back of the house.  Because if someone is going to tear apart my roof, wellll, then can we change a few things upstairs?  Have I shown you the exterior of my house?

 
This is the house in winter, when we first bought it, with that ugly color on the front door and garage. 
 

Here is the house in summer, after we painted the front door and garage a turquoise color.  We had just planted new grass, installed new modern house numbers, and replaced the brass letter slot in the front door with a vintage decorative antique brass plate.  We also painted the steps of the porch a rich chocolate color.  These were all affordable changes that made a big difference to us.


Here is a close up of the antique brass plate that replaced the shiny brass envelope slot on the front door.

The exterior of my house continues to bother me. Which means something just isn't right.  For instance the flower bed in front of the living room window continues to be incomplete, I can't get anything to survive there.  I wish I could just replace it with a porch.  Wouldn't that be fun? 

We are considering adding another pop out window to the other side of the house and extending the roof line over the edge of the house.  

I want to paint the whole house a dark grey with white trim.  That could really freshen it up.  Imagine making the trim around the windows really thick.  I think that could be a more modern update that could keep me from adding the typical awnings, shutters and flower boxes.  Maybe I'm living in the wrong style of house for my taste?  I just believe everything old can be new again as long as you add some modern to it.    

What do you think?

 

1 comment:

  1. A dark gray house with white trim seems so... you! Love it! Would be such a great hue for other colors to pop against too, if you ever add some bright flowers or more plants. I should ask my mom for some ideas on plants that might thrive there for you. Sunny? Sandy soil or anything? She's an expert. I love your little home :)

    ReplyDelete